Friday 17 April 2009

Finland: Fishing in Lappeenranta...


After a day in Helsinki, we went to a place called Lappeenranta. It's one of the closest cities to St. Petersburg, Russia so it's common to see Russian faces in this place.

On our way from Helsinki to Lappeenranta, I saw some people walking on a frozen lake. I was intrigued. "What are they doing there?", I asked my husband. He said they were fishing and I immediately asked him if we could go fishing as well. After all I've never fished my whole life. On top of that, I've never fished on a frozen lake!!! It's exciting!!!

So we went fishing. And we were able to catch fish! I was able to catch two in half an hour. Although our goal was to catch fish, when I saw the fish on top of the ice, I felt sorry for them. I didn't even have the heart to take their photo. I asked my husband and his parents if we are going to eat them. And they said no. So I told my husband, "can we put the fish back in the water (lake)?" We did. I don't think I'd want to eat fish anymore. Ever.













Drilling a hole on the frozen lake...









We fished through holes in the cover ice of the frozen lake. This is where we put our fishing/ice rod...










Fishing... we had to squat for almost an hour... It was worth it. I liked the experience so much, thanks to my husband and my parents-in-law.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

maby we can fish also later